Friday, May 10, 2013

Waffles!

After my morning yoga and picking up my car from the shop in our pjs today we came back and made waffles! 33 Waffles to be exact! I've never used a waffle iron before, so that was pretty interesting and MESSY! But, now I know what's in my kids waffles! I recently saw someone post about all the things in Eggos and it was pretty scary. They are Mr.M's favorite thing and he eats one nearly every day, so I really started worrying. I looked up easy waffle recipes and settled on one from Frugal Foodie.

In her directions she gives you the dry ingredients with the intention of storing the mix and making it on an as needed basis, but I wanted to make it even easier for our mornings! I just made it all!

 I used frugal foodie's ingredient list, but just used all white flour because we're out of wheat!
6 cups of white flour
4 tablespoons of sugar
4 tablespoons of baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
5 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups canola oil
6 eggs 
3 tsp vanilla
and I added 1 cup chocolate chips

Then I got to it!
I made a horrible mess, I really didn't know how to use it, call me dumb, but I really didn't.

Mr.M got a little crazy during the 30+ min it took me to do this! Things like this happened...

in the end all these little messes were totally worth it!

I have 27 neatly packed waffles in my freezer! (we lost a couple and ate more than a few =/) 
I know every ingredient in them and I estimate I saved about $16. I had all ingredients on hand and borrowed my mom's waffle iron. 

Go make some waffles, they're way better homemade!
S


2 comments:

  1. I make all my own pancakes and waffles from scratch and freeze them too! It's so much easier when you have a hungry toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried this with chicken nuggets? It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete