Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Adventures in food

So trying to save money and stay on track with meal planning has evolved into something different for me. I've become obsessed with making everything myself! I started reading about all the THINGS in our food, things that I have no idea what they are or what they do and because I fixate on things I really started to get freaked out!

As a result I have started to make everything myself! For three weeks I have successfully made all the bread we need, my plan is to bake bread every Sunday (it's just a little bit easier with D home)
This past Sunday I made our favorite bread, Honey-Yogurt bread and Corona cupcakes to celebrate Cinco de Mayo (I made sugar lime cupcakes for Mr.M)

I have realized this means a LOT more work for me, but I have to admit that I'm really having fun with it and luckily Mr.M likes to help and Mr.R is great at sleeping in the kitchen =)

The easiest thing to prep for and have on hand seems to be eggs and we are lucky enough to get fresh eggs from my mom's chickens

This week I pickled a dozen with my mom's recipe. My husband was thrilled =)

I've even gone so far as to ditch my Snapple Ice Tea addiction! I've started brewing my own and I love it! It lets me control how much sugar is in it. I didn't realize how good it is, so much better than using the Keurig too!
It's also helping save money. We were actually able to head to Home Depot without stopping at DD. Thanks to our handy (nerdy) travel cups!
Yes, my husband is a die hard Star Trek fan

Yesterday I was planning on making my Chinese chicken when I realized I had everything needed to make what the Barefoot Contessa was making =) We had delicious lemon thyme chicken!


So far today I have started granola bars and if they harden up like they should I'll share the recipe, they taste delicious! 
All my glass dishes are spoken for right now, forcing me to use a Christmas dish. I had started out making DIY Larabars until I dropped my spatula in and it was chopped into 1,000 tiny pieces...booo

Well, with so much to make and do around here my internet time has been majorly cut back! So that's all for today! There's still waffles and pizza dough to be made today (In the next hour while everyone is still napping!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment